CONGRATULATIONS TO APACHE CROSSFIT'S march ATHLETE OF THE MONTH rich mazza!!!!!
1. When did you start CrossFit? I started following the main site in 2009 after a friend of mine got certified and introduced it to me. I got bored with the site because some workouts were done in 7 minutes and I felt like I was losing strength and size. Followed the CrossFit Football site to have more weightlifting involved. Then followed SealFit, again on my own. It wasn't until January of 2013 that I officially started at Apache.
2. Favorite WOD?
Anything with double unders. I don't know enough of the named WOD's to have a favorite or least favorite.
3. Least Favorite WOD?
Anything with box jumps. I'd rather do burpees.
4. Favorite lift?
Any jerk. It just feels the most comfortable for me.
5. Least favorite lift?
Snatch. But I won't duck the workout. I get excited for it because it's my weakest and I can work on it.
6. Tell us a little bit about yourself (family, job, sports, interests, etc)
I'm married for 5 1/2 years to someone that shares the same fitness and healthy lifestyle that I do. Different goals but same drive. I have a 3 1/2 year old son that is already super competitive and all he wants to do is anything active. I've been a cop in a local township for 13 1/2 years and I love my job because it changes every day.
7. What were you doing before CROSSFIT?
LA Fitness. A body part a day with some cardio. Boooooring.
8. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
I walked in thinking I was in the best shape of my life. I walked out realizing that I wasn't, and that I've been doing half squats.
9. What are your current goals?
Add weight and reps, drop times, be healthy, and look good naked.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Apache CrossFit?
Check your ego and be coachable. Don't sacrifice form for numbers because that's how you get hurt. The workout should be tough but sometimes it's better to scale it back and get everything you can out of it, rather than sacrificing form just to say you Rx'd it. Nobody cares about what you lifted in high school so listen to the coaches.
11. Something you might not now about me is.....
My first semester away at college I had a .33 GPA. Yes, not even a half a point. My parents kept me on a short leash so I took that freedom and ran. I didn't go back the following year, however I now have my Master's Degree.
With an empty barbell; REPEAT 2X
5 GOOD MORNING
5 SQUAT PRESS
5 SNATCH BALANCE
5 FRONT SQUAT
5 PUSH PRESS
1)3X5 SQUAT (ADD 5 LBS)
2) 5X3 POWER CLEAN + JERK
3)3X10 BB BENT OVER ROW
4B)2X5 SHIN PLYO HOP
1)4X1 SNATCH COMPLEX @ 70 (FLOOR, HANG, HI-HANG)
2)4X1 POWER CLEAN + PP + JRK @ 70
3)3X3 FRONT SQUAT @ 85%
4B)2X5 BOX JUMP
10 KB SNATCH (5/5) @ 53/35