CONGRATULATIONS TO APACHE CROSSFIT'S JULY ATHLETE OF THE MONTH, DANIELLE MCQUISTON!!!
Little known fact, Danielle wandered into the gym prior to it being named Apache CrossFit, and became the first member back in July of 2012. Danielle has made significant changes since starting two years ago and its paid off huge for her. While she took an unexpected an unwanted hiatus due to Hurricane Sandy, she came back and hit the ground running. Her performance, movement, and body composition have improved dramatically due to her hard work and dedication. She has been consistent in her training attending both CrossFit and Endurance classes regularly as well as smashing the Apache Live, Look, Feel Better Challenge. Congratulations Danielle, we're extremely proud to have you as an athlete and to name you July's Athlete of the Month. We're looking forward to watching you progress even further. Keep it up!!
1. When did you start CrossFit?
July 2012, I was a stalker of the Crossfit main site for a while and by chance, I overheard, at the Starbucks in Shop N Shop, that Apache was opening, so I stalked them, and just showed up. I remember that day and walking into Apache so very clearly - mostly, because I was totally intimidated and super scared, it's uncommon for me to join anything, I still can't believe I went. I met all the demigods that first week; Mike N., Mike J., Maria, and Marty - they looked pretty surprised to see a stranger randomly walk in, but they were all incredible and even said I could come back! I instantly knew that was where I wanted to be.
2. Favorite WOD? A pistol & KB swing combo wod - cause it is the only RX'd wod I've ever finished.
3. Least Favorite WOD? Anything with hspu - I can't even kick up to the wall, yet.
4. Favorite lift? Squat clean/back squat, anything heavy that makes me feel strong inside.
5. Least favorite lift? Myself - for a hspu
6. Tell us a little bit about yourself (family, job, sports, interests, etc) I have two awesome boys, an incredible partner of 12 yrs, Frank, who no matter how bitchy I get he still loves me! I work for a small software company. We moved to Ortley in 2004, finished renovating our cute little cape cod house, and then sandy hit. We have spent all the time since then rebuilding. My favorite thing is spending the day at the IBSP with family & friends, and then sitting around drinking delicious IPAs and picking blue claw crabs with music and lots of laughter lingering late into the night.
7. What were you doing before CROSSFIT? Typical gym BS, pretending to incorporate CF into lame, treadmill workouts. Also, a little soft, sand running - still love that.
8. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout? Thank goodness I did not puke and I hope they like me and invite me back! It wasn't Crossfit that was missing in my life, it was, without a doubt, the Apache family.
9. What are your current goals? Smile and be nice. Show up and keep showing up, and after I show up have a goal for whatever the warmup/strength work/wod is for that day. Make my children proud every single day.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie just joing Apache CrossFit? Just show up, and great stuff will happen.
11. Something you might not now about me is…..I have a tattoo of a willow tree, I have a brother with CP, someday I will shave my head - I say it will be liberating - Frank says I will be homeless, haha.
"Squat, jump, climb, throw, lift." Greg Glassman